Saturday, September 11, 2004

London 101

Hello!

If your reading this then you probably know who I am, and you should know that I am currently residing in the UK for this semester.

I'm trying this blogger thing just so I don't have to write as many in depth emails about my daily life. This is for you guys my loving and caring friends and family, so you can keep track of my comings and goings in London, throughout England, and in Europe abroad. I hope you don't find this too boring or monotonous.

Today is September 11, 2004. My heart goes out to all those who knew someone in the towers. I'm saying a prayer for you right now. We took a tour bus all around London, seeing all the sights that the regular tourists would see...while we were driving around the embassies, we stopped next the American embassy. Right next to it is a large park, with a statue of Franklin Roosevelt on one side and a gold eagle flying towards him on the other side of the park. However the most touching part was the newly created tribute to 9/11 (or 11th of the 9th, as the call it here). It's a small gazeebo-type thing with a small enclosed room where, I assume in a book or on plaques, are written all the names of the British and American citizens who died in the attacks. I believe there's going to be a ceremony there tonight, however, I won't be able to attend.

Anyways, off that somber note. Our bus ride lasted about 3 hrs and took us all around London, so many places that I can't even name. We went to Trafalgar Square, Big Ben (which is actually the name of the BELL, not the clock...), to the outside of Buckingham Palace and many other beautiful places. Tonight the whole group of us (40 students and some odd faculty and family) are going to the Condensed Shakespeare play in Piccadilly Square. And after that, we are on our own. Knowing my group we'll probably find a pub.

Well I'm off to the play. I'll upload some pictures of St. Paul's cathedral and other sites around my house later. Until then. Cheerio!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home